- "I have an idea! Give me your scanner."
- —Simmons to Doc
- "My scanner? Why? It can't be used as a weapon."
- "Maybe it can. If I can overload the power-cell, it will be able to fire an over-charged burst."
- —Simmons in Upon Further Review
The Plasma Pistol is often used in Red vs. Blue to act as a non-lethal instrument or tool.
- Sarge: In Episode 41, Sarge reveals that he can use a plasma pistol to activate devices that he installed in the robots he built, such as the listening device in Tex's robot body (Francisco Montegue Zanzibar) and the 10 megaton bomb in Church's robot body (Robot Number 2).
- Caboose: In Episode 41, Caboose used the plasma pistol to activate both the listening device in Francisco Montegue Zanzibar, and the 10 megaton bomb in Robot Number 2.
- Jones: In Hang Time, Jones uses the plasma pistol as an actual weapon, shooting and disabling Epsilon.
- Epsilon-Lopez: Inside the Epsilon Unit, it is used by Lopez as a tool to investigate the earthquakes occurring within the unit in Mid-Game Substitution.
The medical scanner is a tool used by Doc in order to diagnose the illnesses and injuries of the various soldiers he encounters, often the main cast. The device apparently requires a trained professional to use, though this is only because of its poor design, rather than requiring any real skill as its only response to a wide assortment of medical problems is to glow green. When Doc explains to an incredulous Church that Tucker is pregnant, he claims he knows this because the scanner glowed green. Church rebukes him, claiming the device glows green for flesh wounds and other problems, to which Doc admits it does this "for just about everything,". The device also seems capable of diagnosing psychological problems as Doc states that one shade of green indicates rage "stemming from surpressed feelings of inadequacy," when pointing it at Church. It also seems rather unsafe, as Doc also claims that another shade of green causes impotency, and apoligizes to Church, as he was pointing it at him at the time. However, in Blue vs Blue Doc revealed that is was an in fact an Alien Pistol.