- "It was worth it."
- —Sarge in Relocated: Part Three
Throughout the series, Grif (and different variations of him) gets injured and harmed several times, mostly by Sarge. So much so that his misfortunes have become a running gag. This is a list of Grif-related injuries.
- Grif being shot at by Sarge and Lopez and later attacked by Tex in Knock, knock. Who's there? Pain.
- Grif being run over by Sheila in An Audience of Dumb, which results in many of Grif's organs and body parts being replaced with Simmons'.
- Grif getting repeatedly hit by Robot Number 2 in K.I.T. B.F.F.
- Getting shot at by his own team in Hunting Time.
- Getting knocked out by Sarge in Getting All Misty.
- Falling down into the Underground Caves in The Nesting Theory.
- Getting tranquilized all over his body (including his crotch) in The Haystack.
Falling at Valhalla
Red Team Emergency Plans
In the episode, Why Were We Here?, Sarge intiates "Emergency Plan Delta" and shoots Grif with his shotgun. Donut initiates "Emergency Plan Traitor Simmons Number 11" at Sarge's order and shoots Grif with his Battle Rifle, but Sarge says that Donut executed the wrong plan, to which Donut replies "Where am I gonna get a steamroller?" It is revealed that all of the Red Team's emergency plans begin with shooting Grif.
Tex Related Incidents
When Tex attacked Red Base in Episode 11, Grif is knocked out instead of killed as "he is too good looking to die." In the episode This One Goes to Eleven, Tex makes seven attacks directed towards Grif's balls. In True Colors, two Tex drones punch and kick him in the same area.
Chorus Related Injuries
Grif continues to get injured during The Chorus Trilogy.
- He is shot at by Sarge using a tank in One-Zero-One.
- Shot at again by Sarge in The Grass is Greener. The Blues are Bluer., during a training exercise.
- Is nearly killed when Freckles destroys the Red Team's warthog in Long Live the King.
- Is pummeled by Sarge as punishment for losing several parts to their new robot in Neighborhood Watch.
- Is punched by Felix during a training session in Training Daze.
- Is hit several times in Fed vs. New.
- Is attacked by numerous Feds and Rebels after failing to appear for training in Tourist Trap.
Shisno Paradox Injuries
- In Blue vs Blue, Grif attempts to swing from a cable, only to crash on the ground.
- In A Pizza the Action, Doc, possessed by the O'Mallley split personality, hits Grif with the Time-Portal Gun, making him fall.
- In Omphalos, an illusion of Coach Prestwood shoots several hits to him with a sniper rifle and a rocket launcher.
Sarge often imagines murdering Grif or having him killed. One example is when he tells the Blood Gulch Crew about his plan to infiltrate O'Malley's fortress and suggests using Grif's body to slow down the giant windmill. Another example is thought back to when the Reds deleted the Blues from the Freelancer command database. He is also killed by his sister in an alternate ending to Episode 100. In "Head Cannon", inside Sarge's mind, there is a pack of Grifs who Sarge shoots with a Rocket Launcher. In "Mr. Red vs. Mr. Blue", Grif is shot in a re-enactment of Mr. Orange being shot in the same way as in Reservoir Dogs.
New Maps Introduction
During D.I.Y., Sarge moves a large dumpster into a series of Gravlifts, injuring Grif and he also set Grif on fire by raising the temperature when Grif was in his "quiet place."
Halo 3 Beta
- "Grifball is the ideal sport. It has all the elements of classic gamesmanship: Grif pain and suffering, Grif humiliation and defeat, and Grif multiple deaths."
- —Sarge in Rules of the Game
In the Halo multiplayer game of Grifball, the ball carrier becomes "Grif". The Grif then dies multiple times due to being the target of all the enemy players or dies when the bomb explodes after scoring.
- "Now, if the energy shield HAD been there, Grif would've been fine."
- —Boomstick in Meta vs. Carolina: Dawn of Awesome
During Meta vs. Carolina: Dawn of Awesome, Boomstick is shown to use Grif as a test subject when demonstrating the effects of the combatants' special weapons and armor. Grif is shot with the Brute Shot, blown up with a tank shell after his Bubble shield dissipates, shot with a Battle Rifle, and later whacked with the Brute Shot again.